Monday, May 02, 2005

Health service

I decided I would include this small section to illustrate both the efficiency of the Brasilian Health Service, and quite a significant event in my life. In order to sign my university contract, I had to go for a medical exam. As many of you may
know, I have not been very well for some time, and the doctors in Edinburgh basically told me there was nothing very much wrong. However, it transpires that after one day, the doctors here diagnosed that I had a parasite which I must have got while swimming in the countryside in Mexico - 3 and a half years ago. It's not very nice and it enters through your skin, and ends up in your lungs giving you bronchitis or pneumonia (which I had shortly after returning), and then after that sits in your stomach eating your blood and making your immune system weak and your iron levels incredibly low. It basically explains the kidney infection - the trouble eating, the loss of weight etc.... When I went to get my certificate of healthiness, the nurse gave me the results verbally in front of all of the other patients which is an experience not to be missed, especially if she has to repeat the portuguese of "YOU HAVE WORMS" very many times at the top of her voice, because I didn't understand the technical name for it (strongyloides stercoralis).

Here ends the brief personal aside....