Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Rio Quente and Caldas Novas.

We made the mistake of going camping on a bank holiday weekend. It was packed with people having car stereo contests with the worst music they could find in their Dad´s collection - or so it seemed. First we went to Lagoa Quente - a place which offered a campsite with access to 5 swimming pools, including one which had water directly from the lake, so was quite hot. Very pleasant indeed for lazing about in. I wouldn´t necessarily describe these pools of water as swimming pools, as they were designed with people lazing about in mind. The furthest you could swim at a depth of more than about a meter was probably 4 meters, so a real swim was out of the question. We realised at this point just how ill-prepared for camping we were in comparison to other people. We had no television, 4 piece dining set, stereo, fridge etc.... In the morning we left, much to the amazement of the staff there, but the "entertainment" was just beginning and I think it would have just been too much fun for me to take.

We went on to Rio Quente where there is a huge water park which I liked the look of.... until I saw the price. So we went to a cheaper version down stream, and camped at a place which was right next to the river. It was fun to swim about there, and we felt proud for having chosen somewhere which clearly was upmarket. I have to admit that it wasn´t the tranquil image I had perceived, but good to experience none the less.

On the way back we went to a place called Piracánjuba, which was a pretty little town which sold all sorts of Artesenato from around the place. It wasn´t from there exactly so I decided to leave my shopping until we go somewhere nearer to the point of manufacture. Also I have to figure out a way of not looking and sounding so foreign so that I can try and bargain myself a reasonable price.

It was a long hot drive and probably not the most relaxing weekend ever, but nonetheless it was good to travel about a bit and get to see some more of Brazil. You can see the only picture that was taken that weekend here.