Wednesday, June 15, 2005

More Brasília

Apologies for not having written for ages - no excuse but laziness on my part.

Recently the search for flats has begun. There aren't many available in the residential districts so we're mainly looking in the commercial districts at what they call "Quitinetes" here. One big room with a shower room off. We did see a really beautiful flat, but it was a bit away from the University and it was quite a lot too... still if it's still in the paper on Thursday I'm going to ring up and try to haggle again I think.

There are several really cool thinks about being here. One is the weather obviously, which is not too hot and not ever really cold, although it can sometimes get about as cold as a hot summer's night in scotland during the early hours of the morning, which is when you see all the scarves and jumpers come out. Another is the way cars are fixed. I had a problem with the alarm on the car which I didn't understand despite my best efforts (involving virtually dismantling the dashboard). I went to the big road where all the garages are, parked the car in front of some place, a bloke walked out with a mean looking screwdriver and an ambitious pair of hands and with very little grace had it all working in about 3 minutes.. bit of insulation tape here... undo that... take that off... hit that bit... 20 Reais and I was off. Been fine since. I quite enjoyed that.

I particularly enjoy the self-service lunch bars here. You pay by the kilo and have what you want. It normally works out at the equivalent of a quid fifty for an enormous plate of food. The best thing though is the variety - there's usually loads of salad (if you go to a decent place), and always loads of different meats from the Churasco (bbq). Also of note are the really cheap bars. I think my favourite so far is "Bar Por do Sol" from which you'd have to be about 50m tall to witness the setting of the sun, but disengenuousness aside it's unpretentious and has a good lively atmosphere. People normally come round and sell peanuts for virtually nothing. I haven't yet overindulged on the beer as it tends to give you a hangover before you get drunk, but I have certainly overindulged on the peanuts. Worthy of Special mention is the one next door, which is quieter but open more often - "Meu Bar" is run by Ze, who is normally drunk and to be found playing pool in the room next door. I haven't yet had the courage to follow the protocol at this bar, but in general it seems that if you want a drink you go and get it yourself and leave the money when you leave. I quite like it here as there are lots of wobbly old regulars, so it reminds me of the good Edinburgh pubs.