Sunday, September 04, 2005

Lecturing C

My apologies to my devoted readers for the lack of entries on my blog - I have been extremely lazy. Basically I've been very busy with the mundane every day necessities of preparing enough material to appease my students. One course is fine - I'm basically lecturing mathematical logic and some automated reasoning. The other is programming in C. Thanks to Mark I now have two brilliant books to learn from, and I'm trying very hard not to tell them anything wrong. What is slightly difficult is that a lot of them program in C for a living and are now taking it as a subject at university. This means that the boring syntactical parts of the language are much more familiar to them, so if I print a float out as an int they are all onto it like hawks, but try to get them to understand a recursive solution to the towers of hanoi and I could literally be here all year.

Anyway - it looks like the university is going on strike over salaries. This means two good things - possibly I can prepare the course now slightly better, using my new shiny literature, and also I might be able to go to the coast on a trip, which would be fun, and provide more photos of water, crazy insects, trees and the like.